Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Tea For Eight


I had every intention of taking a picture of all my cups and inserting it into my blog but as you know that is more time than I can spare so I have a generic picture that doesn't quite capture my own collection. I am to embarrassed to tell you how many cups I have in my kitchen cabinet. I have short squatty ones, tall thin ones, all colors imaginable. My collection also consists of holiday cups for Christmas, fall, Halloween, Valentines, St. Patrick's, Independence Day and on and on.... I pick a cup for the day based on how I feel and what I wear and yes it is somewhat like picking out a pair of shoes.


My family gets me cups randomly, so each cup has a special meaning.


I wanted to share my cups the other night so I invited a few dear friends. Does that sound funny, "to share my cups?"


I've been here for several years now and I have reluctantly been calling this place my home. Oh, I know your next question, your are going to ask, "why?" Well, I have long contemplated that question for many years as we move and try to adjust to the transition of a new home and place and I run into the same problem each time. The problem I encounter is leaving my dear friends that I have grown to love and then having to open myself up to new people.


My husband tells me "home is where you put your feet and place your seat." Well, that concept doesn't work for me, I have to have more substance. I know his heart is in the right place but I think I approach it differently. I think about circumstances so intensly that I wear myself out. I'm sure God is worn out with all my scenerios too. He's probably thinking, my goodness, when is that woman going to quit thinking so hard. She makes life so difficult.


My previous home was a small town with not to many pleasantries, however the people in that town were genuine. I'm not knocking the town, but what I am expressing is how sometimes you don't need all the added extras to make your life feel complete. It is hard for "city folk" to understand this concept because they look at a small town and think "what is there to do" and if there is nothing to do "what is the quality of life?"


I have grown to love the pleasantries of life here in my new town, but I have been missing the one item that makes a home a home, which is the genuine love for my neighbors.


That missing link to my madness is all but a memory now.


So, last night, I put on my PJ pants and old ratty, faded sweatshirt (no pretenses here...) and told my neighbor friends to come over and be comfortable and we would have coffee, tea, and a little dessert and friendship. There were eight of us, sharing in laughter and stories. This lasted from 7:30 till 10:00. Our ages ranged from the 20's, 30's, 40's and almost "50's". I feel like I am finally home now in an odd sort of way.....


Scripture tells us to pray without ceasing. I realize I stay conscious of God's presence within me at all times. I have long and short conversations with God minute by minute. I also admit that I can become very resistant to what he tells me and I believe his message has been lately to let go and let Him take over. Why didn't I listen?? If I would have listened two years ago I could have embraced my new friends with a cup of tea many nights ago. These are my least honorable moments with God, that is, not listening.


I let my crazy schedule be my wall of defense and yet by doing this I am not allowing my children to relish in the beautiful friendships of our neighbors that dwell beside us. To my beautiful women friends/neighbors in the past, present and future as we become the branches of the beautiful vine of friendship of God's blessings, let us give thanks for neighborhoods, laughter, tears and cups of tea.


Romans 12:4-5
For as in one body we have many parts, and all the parts do not have the same function, so we, though many, are one body in Christ and individually parts of one another.


And so with that note, cheers to neighborhood friendships.


Cup of tea anyone?

No comments: