Sunday, November 29, 2009

Turkey Time


Another year, another turkey! I am happy that we take time aside from our ordinary "ness" and create a reason to contemplate our reasons to be thankful. Families and friends gather to share a meal and there is much preparation prior to thanksgiving in hopes to flavor our day with a delectable dinner for all those at our table.

In preparation for the day my family gets caught up in music, baking, setting the table and making name tags even though we all know where we are going to sit. We have an unusual amount of family time doing the things that we are rushed to do during the week. I am thankful for the day because I do get to spend time with my family and share a meal without impending agendas.

However, sometimes I wonder if preparing for this day that it too becomes as busy as our ordinary days or weeks. Do we get so caught up in the dinner plans, the guest lists, decorating the environment that our thanks is never given? Do we not allow our hearts time to rest and contemplate with humility to think about our thanksgivings? I enjoy a good meal like the rest, but in this planning and mingling do we show gratitude to the one above? Do we accept these moments of family time independently or do we give due credit to our Lord?

Slow down, slow down and give thanks I tell myself. We are so blessed to be chosen to exist and to share a meal with our loved ones, freely and openly. We are so blessed to have Christ in our lives, to be baptized and to celebrate in His name.

New friends, renewal of friendships, family, a meal, a prayer, life, grace, a celebration of peace in Christ.

Thanksgiving, a day to share our gifts. Let us give thanks!

No comments: