Sunday, November 29, 2009

Strawberries from the garden

My Aunt Doris left us the other day to be with the one above and to hold hands with her sister. This world has lost two sisters, two daughters, two aunts, two mothers, both in the last couple of days.

This one is for you Aunt Doris, my thoughts, prayers and memories.

I think God knew what he was doing when he let my aunts be together. It really is beautiful knowing that they are together holding hands, walking in a garden and possibly picking strawberries. When I think of Aunt Doris, I think of strawberries and the many memories packed with them. Going to her farm and picking strawberries is a memory that will never fade away.

Aunt Doris gave me "a city girl" an opportunity to experience the pleasures of farm life. Aunt Doris was a "doer". She was busy! Always moving, always sharing life's little pleasures. She was a woman on the move. Looking back at my memories I see Aunt Doris toiling in the dirt. She gardened, canned and shared! As a child I would go to her farm and pick strawberries. Her garden in my eyes was beautiful. I knew nothing about caring for the earth until I went to Aunt Doris' home. She shared with me the things I took for granted like strawberries. She gave me the pleasure to toil in the dirt.

Sometimes the "big"things don't really mean as much as the "little" ones. I tend to hold onto the little pleasures in life and picking strawberries was one of them. Life's little pleasures can all be taken for granted if we let them or we can take those little pleasures or lessons if you will, and build on them to mold us into who we are and where our feet have been to help us know where we are going.

Aunt Doris, you, your garden and the love that you gave me and those around you will be forever missed but not forgotten.

No comments: