Monday, November 23, 2009

Our Holy Temple


My body aches, literally aches. Yesterday was my yoga day that I enjoy with my children as we participate together each Sunday. After yoga they swam and I did my weight routine. Yoga is all about breathing, stretching, developing your core, balancing, relaxing, sweating and the pleasure for me is having family time.

My pleasure resides in watching their bodies move so freely with such grace and flexibility. My pleasure resides in the memory of being young and carefree myself. My children didn't ache this morning like I did, but there is always that saying "no pain, no gain". What does that really mean? What am I trying to gain that I haven't gained already in my lifetime? Maybe it should be "no pain, no maintain?" I know I used to be flexible and strong like my children so then again maybe it should be "no pain, no regain?" My frustration lies within the question of "how did I loose it, when and where in my lifetime did that youthful body fade away?"

We compare our bodies constantly with what used to be and we punish ourselves by wanting what "was" instead of celebrating was "is". I am the most guilty person on the planet. I have saved my "skinny' jeans, you know the ones before children. Those jeans 21 years old are a constant reminder of "what was." I don't know why I don't just throw them out, but they are also a reminder of my youth and a time that I had at that moment in my life. Most people would probably just say "GET RID OF THEM, MOVE ON ." My response, no way! I love those jeans just for the sake of memory.

Moving forward instead of looking in the past raises the question, "am I taking care of my body, my holy temple?"

Each year do we add a couple of pounds, a couple of inches, do we just slowly gain acceptance of what we have become for the sake of comfort? I am as guilty as the rest of them, but when we think about taking back that body of our past do we also think about the whole "Holy Temple", you know the mind and spirit, as well?" I mean, we could have the body, but if we are not happy and spiritually connected to our God is it worth it? In trying to maintain that physical condition is it not important to also nurture the soul too?

I believe God wants us to rebuild our temple every day, to think about where we have been and were we are going. There will be many temptations like the aches and pains and to have an increase desire to be complacent, but God built our Holy Temple for us to take care of it and to be His true followers. Taking time each day to be committed to our God and our body is caring for the gift of our Holy Temple that God has gifted us. Neglect in either of these two is an insult to not only ourselves but to the one who made us.

If you are a follower, what condition is your temple in today?


No comments: