Sunday, March 6, 2011

Home Sweet Home

 

             dirt homes

I took a trip this weekend.  I wish I could say it was all for leisure, rest and relaxation although it was somewhat of the opposite.  I took my daughter to visit a college that she might be interested in attending next fall.  It is really weird because when my husband and myself got married he began his career as a professor at this college and the town was our first home.  Our first daughter went to college there and now our second daughter seems to wants the same.

 
I took the usual campus tour, talked with an advisor and enjoyed lunch with my girl.  She is all to ready to move on, get out of our home and become a little more independent or less dependent upon her parents.  Not sure if that will be the case, but we'll all give it a try.  She wants to fly and I want her to experience the flight.  After all, she's 20 and it is time for her to explore.

 
Prior to coming on our little college journey, I recently went for a walk down the street from my home and  saw the strangest sight next to the sidewalk.  There were mounds upon mounds of ant homes positioned on the edge of the concrete. It sounds funny saying ant homes, like they are people homes, but these mounds of dirt really are the homes for the ants, where the ants work, sleep, (I really don't know if ants sleep), and play (I don't know know if ants play either, maybe just have ant family time).  These ants were scurrying around their mounds building and perfecting the dirt that constituted their home. Some mama or papa ant was directing these baby or teen ants to do their job or pull their weight in maintaining the home estate.  Everyone had a purpose, so it seems from the onlooker of the human eye.


My daughter wants to learn to become more responsible, manage her own household, and to continue to educate her mind so she may later reap the benefits of a nice job once she holds her college degree.  The cost of education is overwhelming to me, daunting if you will, but nothing slows her down, not a worry in the world, she just pushes forward with all the faith and determination that everything will just fall into place. 

  
I worry about my daughter going to college.  Sometimes she doesn't work like an ant at our house.  Her room is always messy, her laundry basket is spilled over onto the floor and her mess lingers into the bathroom or onto her car.  She rarely takes care of these issues that bother her mother without being asked, told or having a "stick" shook at her, if you will. So, my question is "how will she manage by herself?"

 
While watching these ants maneuver over and around each other trying to get their work done I thought about my daughter.  My thoughts were "will she get her work done?  Will she be motivated to do it on her own, will she take pride that she is on her own and step up to the mound and take charge of her home and the work that needs to be done?"  There are many other questions that concern me about her being vigilant about her independence but more importantly, the question I ask most is "did I teach her what she needs to know to go it alone without stumbling and falling or having other ants crawl all over her in accomplishing their tasks?  Will she fail or will she succeed?


It will take another visit before we secure her home. We just toured and received advisement today.  I have ample time to cram more mothering in before she leaves.

 
One thing I know for certain, we will never know all that we need to know.  There is only one person that has all the answers and she will need to know to go to Him for guidance, acceptance, strength and the answers that she needs.

 
"My child, don't forget what I teach you.  Always remember what I tell you to do.  My teaching will give you a long and prosperous life.  Never let go of loyalty and faithfulness.  Tie them around you neck; write them on your heart.  If you do this, both God and people will be pleased with you." Proverbs 3:1-4

Gotta go, I have mounds of laundry, the smell of my home sweet home....

No comments: