Thursday, February 10, 2011

Life on the edge

birds on a wall

These vultures have made the ledge to the entrance of our neighborhood their home. I don’t like these creatures. They remind me of death or better yet as I slowly crept out of my car to get a close up picture the only thing I could think of was the movie “Birds”. It was a film that I saw in the sixties. It was scary and I remember it vividly. As I crept up on these birds, I imagined that they were going to attack me and my camera lens and peck my eyes out and flock around me and eat me to death. Death, death, death.

two too many

I have been fascinated with these birds since the day we purchased our home. They have become a permanent fixture on this ledge and they are there when you leave and when you arrive. I do not think it is a nice sight for an entrance and I believe everyone in this neighborhood is in agreement.

Well, the other day I discovered why these ugly black birds stay in the area. Here’s the story…..

I was leaving my home to go to work, just pulling out onto the street when I saw a little grey kitten up in the street trying to cross to the other side. I slowed my car down a bit and looked ahead waiting for movement from the kitty. I glanced up in the air and saw our permanent entrance wall fixtures (the vultures) and then my mind starting racing as the vultures started circling. I drove up closer to the kitten and started honking my horn only to discover that I was a little late as a big, black, large wing spanned vulture swooped down and captured the kitty.

With a blink of my eyes the kitten was gone. Its’ tail was swinging in the air as the vulture took off with the kitten.

fly away

I couldn’t believe my eyes. I took off in my car to follow the bird. He went down into a ravine and back up in the air where I found him in another neighborhood close by mine. He then circled and returned to the spot where he captured the kitten in the beginning. He was about 20 feet off the ground and then the vulture dropped the kitten onto the ground.

The kitten didn’t move, but the vultures did. There were too many to count as they took turns pecking at the kitty. I sat in my car honking at them all the while I was crying. I didn’t know what to do and I knew it was too late.

I don’t like these birds. I’m sure the cows and the chickens and the pigs don’t like us humans either when we go to slaughter them for food. I just kept asking myself why the little kitty???? Why not a armadillo or a skunk or some other creature that does not co-exist as a pet with humans.

My discovery this day lead me to understand why these vultures don’t leave our neighborhood. Their breakfast, lunch and dinner is waiting for them. I wonder how many little kitties have lost their lives to these birds. How many little one to two pound dogs have lost their lives, as well.

I was so angry that day. I couldn’t see past that little innocent gray kitty eaten up by the vultures. I was mad at God that day for letting that kitten die and for letting me see how those vultures got their meal. I didn’t want to know. I didn’t want them on the edge of our entrance. I had words with God that day. I was mad!

“Remember this, my dear friends! Everyone must be quick to listen, but slow to speak and slow to become angry. Human anger does not achieve God’s righteous purpose.” James 1:19-20

This day I saw the circle of life.

This day in my neighborhood, the kittens are the ones living on the edge.

No comments: