Tuesday, May 4, 2010

To Pause


It never fails...no matter what we are doing during the day.....we wait. We wait at the stop light, we wait for a parking space, we wait at the elevator, we wait for the magical noon hour for lunch, we wait, we wait, we wait..... Sometimes we are told to wait behind the line, wait outside the building, wait for our food order, we are told to wait and wait and wait each day. The word 'wait' when directed to me sounds like a command bringing about a negative, objectionable tone to my ears. I don't like to wait and I certainly don't like to be told to wait. The word just ruffles my feathers. It's as if I do not have a choice in the matter and I am being put on hold, neglected if you will.


I prefer the word 'pause' to 'wait'. When someone says the word pause to me it sounds softer and gentle and a little less like a command. I prefer to pause. It is temporary and brief and gives emphasis of a rest. There are times while driving my car I maybe listening to a particular music selection and the music might jog a memory/feeling/emotion about a certain time, place or event. In the event that my mind wanders (which of course never happens....haha) I select the little button in my car labeled 'pause'. Now that button was not labeled 'wait' but 'pause'. It gives the option to have a brief moment. I love that button and I think the person who invented it is grand, as well!


Why do I write about the words 'wait' and 'pause'? Well, I had to wait, I was told to wait, I didn't want to wait. I waited a long 29 hours while my daughter labored through the delivery of her baby. We had to wait 9 months for the baby to grow and develop and then another 29 hours of labor. Enough is enough. We had no choice, but to wait. I didn't want to wait I just wanted her to have the baby. I know this might sound silly, but what if we said "let's pause a moment while she labors" and just maybe the baby might have thought we were not so demanding and she might have came out a little sooner and... just maybe the apprehension in the room would not have been so intense and we could have just relaxed and rested and had a baby sooner.


Waiting makes me anticipate when I can begin again.
Pausing gives me rest as we gather our thoughts and contemplate our time while pausing.
To wait or to pause?


In all things in life there are rules. Being obedient to these rules is crucial and fundamental in order to create a favorable outcome. I waited for 29 hours, I was obedient to the nurses and doctors and I tried not to show apprehension, but calm as I comforted my daughter.


Obedience must be the anchor of our faith. Our love for Christ is shown through an expression of being obedient to Him. John 14:15 "If you love me you will obey my commandments."


I knew I had to have faith in the doctors, nurses and more importantly the Lord the day my daughter was in labor. I was obedient to Him and he blessed this world with a beautiful baby girl.


My earthly father used to tell me when I was young "all good things come to those who wait".


I waited, but I would have loved to have pressed the pause button.

No comments: