Thursday, March 11, 2010

Time Away


Break away from the hum drum day. Renew, refresh! Yeah right! I haven't had a vacation for almost 8 years! Going home doesn't count and in the few times I've gone home, well, it wasn't the beach, I mean it was fun, don't get me wrong, but there was no sand involved! That's a vacation to me. Sand, sunshine, bikinis, sunblock lotion, beach towels, salty water, sleeping in late and going to bed late. No responsibility, good books, good food and a good time.

I think I am in fantasy land. Maybe I haven't awoke from last nights dream. Geeze, I think even if I went on vacation I would have to go buy myself that nice PURPLE luggage as displayed above. Might even have to buy me some new outfits, new shoes, heck, how bout' a new summer wardrobe to sport around. After all, I'll need new clothes for that new improved body especially for the new bikini. HAHA!! Still dreaming! Wake UP!!! There is no beach vacation, just spring fever, spring break and no beach plans.



There is a show on TV about families that are searching to purchase second homes as 'vacation homes'. They buy homes near the beach, in the mountains or in quaint towns far away from the place where they reside. I am not one of those select few nor do I squander my precious dollars on the lottery in hopes that I would become one of those lucky ones. We work hard for every dollar that comes into our home but it quickly exits our house as fast as it arrives. I often think to myself 'what would I do with a little extra money or a lot of extra money?' Pay off bills, put away for retirement, a little extra money may go a long ways in my neck of the woods. Heck I might even think about a beach house for myself. Maybe not. I know too many people just like myself that would love to share in my 'extra income'. That would give me pleasure. What about you? What would you do with a little extra money? How would it change your life or would it?




I've been thinking about money lately especially since I want a beach vacation. Wanting something I don't have just isn't healthy especially since what I do have is enough. Flipping through the TV stations amazes me because one station may be about adverse countries and giving to the poor and another station is about vacation homes. Will there ever be a balance in this world? Some have way too much while others can barely sustain themselves.




I think we need to have our priorities in order and know what is really important. In Proverbs 3:5-6 "Trust in the Lord with all your heart. Never rely on what you think you know. Remember the Lord in everything you do, and he will show you the right way." This verse explains it all by saying that if we put God first in everything we do then our priorities will be nothing less than living out our lives according to His will by loving Him and serving Him. The vacation home should not matter nor the vacation. He gives us everything we need. We just need to celebrate the gifts, give thanks and share. I need to remember this when I am just a little too focused on that beach vacation and forgetting to give thanks for the break.




I think I will close my eyes and dream about my vacation. Good night.....

No comments: