Monday, December 28, 2009

A Flake


My daughter just called me a "flake". I told her I was going to blog about her comment. She just laughed. I told her I was going to take that comment as a compliment. Just think, we are all flakes or maybe like flakes. We are orginal, no two alike, different personalities, different appearances, some glitter, some melt. I would hope that I glitter in her eyes.

Well, I do not believe my daughter meant that I was a snowflake but a flake, you know, the one who cops out on you when someone is expecting you to do something. Me, cop out???? Maybe her expectations are to high. Maybe she is a flake???

Back to the snowflake...... or the expectations..... We all have expectations of one another. We all try to live up to expectations and some of us fail and some of us succeed. What are expectations?? Why do we have them??? I believe the defination of expectation is the product of the probability of the occurrence of an event and the value associated with the occurence of the given event, or basically my definition of the word, not living up to someones request.

Almost daily I fail in this department. I have four children. They are all different, thank you God. Couldn't imagine life with them being all the same. Every day one of them gets upset with me about one thing or another. Some days I am lucky and all four of them plan their expectations all on one day so I can let them all down on the same day. Every feel that way yourself???

We don't do it on purpose, I mean, let them down. It just happens. Who wants to make their kids unhappy on purpose? I feel I am just one against them all. I know that doesn't sound right but, that is how I feel on those impossible days. I have had a lot of them lately. I am just not glittering in their eyes lately either.

They want to go on a journey tomorrow. You know how you plan events only to no avail it doesn't go as planned? It never does at least in my household because there are too many of us with all different kinds of expectations. There goes that word again, EXPECTATION!

When I let my kids down I think really hard about how I can make it up to them only to let myself down because I set myself up with an expectation that my efforts will be accepted as I expected them to be recieved.

Oh, this is exhausting.....you know, the expectations.

So, as always I try to relate this to what my Lord thought. He probably was thinking "you humans, you just do not get it. " That is what I want to tell my kids.... "You kids, just don't get it...." I am sure he was as frustrated at us as we are with our children. The stories that he told and we just didn't get it till later. Maybe my kids will "get it" later. But, what about now? How do I glisten in their eyes? How do I let them know that aside from all the expectations that I love them and I want to glisten in their eyes?

I want to be a beautiful snowflake, one that never melts in the eyes of my children.

Life is full of expectations, disappointments, and snowflakes....

Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow................

No comments: