Monday, December 28, 2009

The Christmas letter....

Here it is, the paper, the empty spaces of font and letters and sentences and paragraphs. I am disappointed in myself. I didn't get the annual Christmas letter out to my family and friends on the update of my family. I go through this ritual every year. I write and hope that it gets read by at least a few so my efforts do not go unnoticed and I at least hope that they enjoy the picture that I include with the update. Didn't do it. Don't know if I will. Maybe a New Years letter instead.

Why do we go through the motions? Why not pick up the phone and call? That would take to long, to much effort, to personal????? I don't know, maybe it is just easier in this very busy season to forgo the letter. Friends, family, we want them to know about us, to know we exist, to know where we have been and where we are going..... don't we???

I think I write so I can reflect on our blessings and I want to share them with the ones I love. Some call the "Christmas letter" a "brag letter". I don't think of it that way and as a matter of fact, I received a letter from a friend that I had not spoken to in about a year and I stopped dead in my tracts to read it. I was so excited. I think I will call her.

Maybe I'll get some phone calls if I send out this New Years letter. Who knows. I have to type it first. I better get busy.

How do I narrow down what has happened in the life of six people in just one typed page? It is getting harder and harder each year. I think that is why I have put it off.

I read the Bible, the letters, the stories.... Letters date back, way back. They are important and the events remain a vital part of our history, our present and our future. I know my letters are just that; letters. But they help us all feel connected to one another, a place, a time and a love that we share in friendship with friends and family. We learn from each other in our joys, trials and in our ordinary, mundane lives.

These stories in the bible are living stories as is yours and mine.

We all have a story.

Check your mailbox soon......

No comments: