Sunday, December 21, 2014

A second impression, a different meaning..


One of my daughters loves the arts and supports the arts every chance that she has and while she supports the arts, she has mastered the art of including me in her passion.  We go to ballets, orchestra performances and the like, and I probably would show initiative and ask her to go with me, but she always beats me to the punch.  Last night we went to see the Rockettes.  Although, I really wanted to see the Rockettes, I did not want to pay the price of the ticket.  I created a new line item on my budget and paid for the tickets and my two daughters, my grandchild and myself all went to enjoy the Christmas spectacular with a few thousand other people.  

I have never seen the Rockettes before this day and my initial suspicion was that the show was going to be dancing to the up beat tunes of the 'Holiday Season'.  I said the 'Holiday Season' because I did not think the Rockettes would institute the 'real' theme of Christmas in their performance.  My impression was wrong.  During the middle of the show they choreographed and danced to the most spectacular performance around the "Nativity".  I was more than impressed!!  I was now convinced that this show was not some 'high kick' theater performance under the stars, but a performance that drew us into the true meaning of Christmas; the" Birth of Christ" and the joy of the season.  I was glad I paid the high price to see this group celebrate in the birth of Christ and to support their mission as a troupe to spread God's message.  

At church today, I was reminded of the '12 days of Christmas' song in the homily of the mass.  I immediately was drawn to the lyrics and started humming the tune in my head.  As always, the impression that most get when they hear this tune, that has been carried from generation to generation, is one of  'Holiday' cheer. Nonetheless, our priest reminded us that this song was intended for Catholics to secretly learn their faith in England between 1558 and 1829 when it was a crime to be a Catholic.  The song was a way to learn and remember their faith.  

The true meaning behind the song goes like this:

1 Partridge in a Pear Tree = Jesus Christ, Son of God
2 Turtle Doves = The Old and New Testaments
3 French Hens = Faith, Hope and Charity, the Theological Virtues
4 Calling Birds = the Four Gospels and/or the Four Evangelist
5 Golden Rings = The first Five Books of the Old Testament, the "Pentateuch", which gives the history of man's fall from grace. 
6 Geese A-Laying = the six days of creation
7 Swans A-swimming = the seven gifts of the Holy Spirit, the seven sacraments
8 Maids A-milking = the eight beatitudes
9 Ladies Dancing = the nine Fruits of the Holy Spirit
10 Lords A-Leaping = the ten commandments
11 Pipers Piping = the eleven faithful apostles
12 Drummers Drumming = the twelve points of doctrine in the Apostle's Creed

As we get closer to the Birth of Christ, it is easy to dismiss the true meaning, the story behind the word 'Christmas'.  I knew that the song 'The 12 days of Christmas" had been intended to teach the catechism of the Catholic Church to Catholic people long ago, I learned that in my religion classes when I was a child, but it was easier for me to dismiss the meaning when other words were put in the lyrics. It is also easy for me to hurry about as I shop and add up how much I have spent on each child, grandchild and spouse on presents and to make sure I have spread the wealth of gifts evenly instead of truly thinking of the gift of Christ.  

I too, like you, get caught up in the song and dance of it all and fail to stop, listen and pray.  

I have 4 days left to get my song and dance perfected like the Rockettes, to share the message that a new born King is about to arrive. 

This is after all the "Christmas Spectacular!"

Thank you Rockettes! May the show go on.....






No comments: